Since the early 1900’s, science and research have helped explain why so many benefits are achieved with a chiropractic adjustment. The spine’s connection to the nervous system help make chiropractic adjustments improve many aspects ofhealth, function, and human performance. Because of this, chiropractic is utilized by more kids, adults, and the elderly for a variety of purposes. This 2017 study looked at the predominant reasons why most chiropractic patients begin care and the unique results reported while under care. The results were fascinating and as follows:
- The aim of this study was to investigate the lifetime and 12-month prevalence, patterns, and predictors of chiropractic utilization in the US general population.
- There is a growing trend of chiropractic use among US adults from 2002 to 2012.
- 55 million adults in the US have been to a Chiropractor
- 19 million adults in the US have consulted a chiropractor within the previous 12 months.
- Percentage of adults that used chiropractic in their lifetime was 24%. Percentage of adults that use chiropractic in the past year was 8%.
The most common reported uses of Chiropractic were:
- General wellness or general disease prevention (43%)
- To improve energy (16%)
- To improve athletic or sports performance (15%)
- To improve immune function (11%)
- To improve memory and concentration (5%)
Starting under Chiropractic care was also shown to help patients: exercise more regularly, eat healthier, cut back or stop smoking, eat more organic food, and cut back or stop drinking alcohol.
Chiropractic was shown to:
- Improve overall health and feel better in 67%
- Help to sleep better in 42%
- Reduce stress levels in 40%
- Easier to cope with health problems in 38%
- Give a sense of control over health in 32%
- Help to feel better emotionally in 27%
- Improved attendance at job or school in 17%
- Improved relationships with others in 13%
Specific health problems chiropractic was used for:
• Back pain or back problems in 63%
• Neck pain and neck problems in 30%• Joint pain or stiffness in 14%
• Muscle or bone pain in 9%
• Severe headache or migraine’s in 5%• Arthritis in 5%
• Chronic pain in 4%
Chiropractic was reported to help for specific health problems a “great deal” in 65% of the cases and only 3% reported that it did not help at all.
Chiropractic care was most utilized for reasons as follows:
- 65% reported that chiropractic combined with medical treatment would help best
- 62% reported that it treats the cause and not just the symptoms.
- 38% said because it is natural.
- 34% said because medical treatments do not work for their specific health problem.
- 25% said that it focuses on the whole person, mind, body, and spirit.
- 18% said because medications cause side effects.
- 11% said because it was part of their upbringing.
- 6% said because medical treatments were too expensive.
These facts and statistics help show why this is one of the greatest times to be a Chiropractor. With the healthcare challenges, need for change, and more desires for drugless health strategies, chiropractic will continue to rise in relevance and importance to all ages and categories of people in every community.