It’s the time of the year when coughs, fevers, stuffynoses, and tummy aches become the norm in both kids and adults. Millions of missed school and work days occur because of the stress of sickness. The spread of these conditions runs rampant at the start of the new year. Strategies which improve immune function are sought by parents to help avoid or fight nasty influenza and cold viruses. The body is resilient, but immunity can be compromised by stress. One specific but less known strategy to improve immunity is chiropractic. This study from 2010 evaluated the relationship between an adjustment and immunity. The findings were as follows:
- 74 age and sex-matched healthy asymptomatic subjects were studied.
- The subjects were assigned randomly to three groups. A control group, a spinal adjustive treatment without cavitation group, and a spinal adjustive treatment with cavitation group.
- Blood samples were obtained from the subjects before, 20 minutes after intervention, and then 2 hours post-intervention.
- Primary assessment included Immunoglobulin M and Immunoglobulin G production levels.
- The production of interleukin-2 -induced immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M was significantly increased in cultures from subjects treated with spinal adjustive care.
- At 20 min post-manipulation, immunoglobulin G synthesis was significantly elevated in subjects who received adjustive care with cavitation.
- At 2-hour post-intervention, immunoglobulin M synthesis was significantly elevated in subjects who received spinal adjustive care with cavitation
- Antibody synthesis induced by interleukin-2 alone can be augmented following spinal adjustive care.
- Therefore, under certain physiological conditions spinal adjustive care can influence interleukin-2 – regulated biological responses.
This study confirms what chiropractors have witnessed in their offices on a weekly basis for over 120 years. During winter months, many are afflicted by the flu or common cold. Yet some people remain unscathed and seemingly untouched by the microbes which cause the sickness even while living with family members who are stricken. A mystery to many but a prime example of adaptation for chiropractors. While other professions are concerned with changing the environment to suit the weakened body, chiropractic is concerned with strengthening the body to suit the environment. The reason chiropractic adjustments influence immunity is not because chiropractic is so great. But rather because the body is amazing, and the spine has an intimate relationship with the central nervous system. And the central nervous system directly influences immunity. More reasons why everyone deserves to understand and experience the benefits of regular chiropractic care.